Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Importance of New Ideas

"Man's chief delusion is his conviction that there are causes other than his own state of consciousness.  All that befalls a man--all that is done by him--all that comes from him--happens as a result of his state of consciousness.  A man's consciousness is all that he thinks and desires and loves, all that he believes is true and consents to.  That is why a change of consciousness is necessary before you can change your outer world.  Rain falls as a result of a change in the temperature in the higher regions of the atmosphere, so, in like manner, a change of circumstance happens as a result of a change in your state of consciousness. ----Be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind. (Romans12:2)---- To be transformed, the whole basis of your thoughts must change.  But your thoughts cannot change unless you have new ideas, for you think from your ideas.  All transformation begins with an intense, burning desire to be transformed." - The Power of Awareness by Neville Goddard (you can actually download this book for free, its in the public domain! http://archive.org/details/ThePowerOfAwareness)

I love reconnecting with some of the basic principles of consciousness studies.  What jumped out immediately in this reading was the fragment "...your thoughts cannot change unless you have new ideas..."  Some may ask, "why would I want to change what I think" (or believe).  It is easy to go to an extreme with a statement like this and think "Does this mean I don't know anything?"  which can then result in complete self doubt or defensiveness, "I'm not stupid, I know plenty, I have been making it just fine."  What this reading and this statement reminds me of and invites us all to remember is that our thoughts and beliefs create our lives.  Here is an example, two people could be going to the same meeting at work about planning for the upcoming employee summer picnic, person #1 is excited about the meeting and looking forward to collaborating with members from other areas in the company to create a fun outing for the entire company, person #2 walks into the meeting thinking "here we go, another opportunity for the company to tell me how to live my life, not only do they tell me how to do my work, now they are going to tell us how to have fun!"  The thing is both of these individuals will sit in the same planning meeting and have completely different experiences of Life!  What is the difference?  Consciousness and belief.

There are times in my life when I am like person #1 and there are for sure times when I am like #2.  What's usually an indicator that my ideas, thoughts and beliefs aren't serving me in a given moment is how I feel.  So I pay attention to my feelings and in a moment when I feel angry, confused, scared or some other feeling that I associate with not feeling "good", I have the opportunity to pause and ask "what am I believing about myself or someone/thing else right now?"

In those instances, if I do not choose to believe or think a new idea, or at least open myself to a new idea, guess what....I will get more of the same experience.  This is what I believe Neville Goddard was referring to in the quote above, "...a change of consciousness is necessary before you can change your outer world."  The next time you wish to change someone or something else, take a moment and see if there is a new idea you can open up to. By simply asking that question we open ourselves to new possibilities in life.

This may all sound great on the screen, but you find yourself asking well how in the world do I "DO" this?  It all begins with practice, for me meditation and prayer.  I meditate everyday and pray everyday.  In prayer I affirm the new ideas and in meditation I sit allowing the new ideas to percolate and reveal well...something new.

I also get counseling, mentoring, coaching and other support on a regular monthly basis.  If you are seeking support, I would love to be that support for you or point you in the direction of someone that can support you in discovering some new ideas about yourself and how life works.

Feel free to contact me if you are seeking support in discovering new ideas for your life.

Love, Light & Laughter!

Darrell




No comments: