Tuesday, November 1, 2011

What else can you see? That is Freedom!

I have been contemplating freedom lately.  The idea of freedom, the feeling of freedom, the philosophy of freedom, the smell of freedom, the taste of freedom, any and all things I associate with freedom.  I wanted to know what I actually believe about freedom personally.  Regardless of what a book says, a class teaches or what a friend, family member or loved one shares, what ultimately matters for any of us is what we actually think, what we actually believe about something.

I was inspired by a quote I came across of Henry David Thoreau's, "It is easier to sail many thousands of miles through cold and storm and cannibals, in a government ship, with five hundred men...to assist one, than it is to explore the private sea, the Atlantic and Pacific Ocean of one's being alone."  I wonder if this is why so many of us find it challenging to sit down and meditate, to simply be still with ourselves for 5 to 10 minutes a day.

In meditation is where we actually commune with what we think and believe.  Meditation is where we see, touch, taste and feel the ingredients of our consciousness.  Sometimes those ingredients, those thoughts and beliefs, are not what we want in the stew we are cooking called our life.  Other times there may be thoughts and beliefs, ingredients, we didn't even know we had but actually like.  Meditation avails us to awareness, awareness of all of who we are, those ingredients we like and those less tasty.  What does all this have to do with freedom you might ask?  Consider this definition of freedom...Freedom: 1. the ability to see/consider possibility beyond what you currently know. 2. the ability to not only see or consider but to actually choose beyond what you currently know.

If something in your life is currently not working the way you would like it to, work, love, family, health, God even.  If whatever it is, is not working for you at your current place of understanding then you are bound by it, our current understanding of the situation is not serving us to move on.  What would liberate us from this?  Seeing another possibility.  That is freedom, seeing other possibilities, practicing freedom is actually choosing from that new possibility.

This is what meditation, prayer, other spiritual practices and spiritual counseling can offer us.  When I work with clients in a counseling session I always set an intention of awakening our individual and collective inner wisdom.  This intention then pulls us into our session and work together, availing myself and the client to see something else, to see new possibility, to live in freedom!

I challenge myself daily to see something new, to consider something previously outside of my conscious field of vision.  This challenge on a regular basis gives way to freedom, of seeing and choosing something new.  I challenge you to ask yourself "What else can I see?".  What I know is you will see something new and move through life free to be all of who you are!

Don't do it alone!  If you are looking for support living a freer life give me a call or email me for prayer or a counseling session.
Darrell Jones
darrelljonesspirit@gmail.com
773-450-3865

No comments: